In the 18th century, the Royal Navy was provisioned from scattered facilities in the town of Portsmouth and from the Weevil Yard in Gosport, which had a cooperage and a brewery.
The Cooperage in Weevil Lane was established in 1766 and some of the original buildings from that period remain, including the Pump House and the old forge.
From 1828 to 1832, the Weevil Yard was expanded and renamed the Royal Clarence Victualling Yard after the Duke of Clarence. The yard was damaged during World War II and has now been developed into a mixture of residential, office and retail areas (including artisan workshops) combined with a large Marina.
The site enjoys fantastic views across the Harbour towards Historic Portsmouth, the main berthing area for the Royal Navy's largest vessels, and south towards the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth Harbour and the Solent.
A number of the historic buildings have been restored including the Bakery which features the original iron ovens used to bake bread for the navy in the 19th century.
The Slaughterhouse has been converted into the Marina Fitness Centre and contains many of the original features.
Covid-19 information: Please note that during the current crisis, most of the retail businesses & offices listed on this website are either closed or operating on only a very limited basis. Please check their websites for latest information.
For more information about the businesses and organisations at Royal Clarence Yard, click here.
We are in the process of building this website. More information about the history and the modern development will be added gradually.
North Meadow Artists
Royal Clarence Yard Open Days is a small community organisation of volunteers set up with the aim to promote RCY to visitors through information and events.